How to Prevent Crabgrass
Related Resource written by our owner, Nate:
When and Where does crabgrass grow?
- When: Crabgrass is an annual weed that grows from late spring until late summer/early fall.
- Sunny areas
- Hot temperatures.
- Bare soil areas.
- Insect damaged areas: a healthy lawn can fight crabgrass but a damaged lawn cannot.
Crabgrass will grow into thin or bare areas in your lawn and it chokes out "good" grasses.
When temperatures drop as fall approaches, crabgrass dies leaving bare areas in your lawn.
If given the space, it can create up to 15,000 thousand seeds per plant each year.
Its high stalk create a perfect space for lawn pests to thrive.
How do I identify crabgrass in my lawn?
New crabgrass will appear a light green color (lighter than your grass).
As the season goes on it will get darker and become a dull green color.
Crabgrass tends to grow close to the ground and in clumps.
Crabgrass has a thicker leaf than a grass blade
Crabgrass grows outward instead of upwards.
Healthy Lawn: Thick, healthy lawns are strong enough to fight off crabgrass. Maintaining a healthy lawn is a preventative on its own.
Products: Pre-emergents such as Dimension and Pendimethalin are two of the best options. When it's time to fertilize in the spring, make sure one of these products is included.
We recommend one application in early spring and one later in the spring.
How do I control crabgrass after it has grown?
Selective Herbicides (kills weed and not grass):
Quinclorac (Drive 75 DF Herbicide
DSMA (Methar 30)
FEnoxaprop-p-ethyl (Acclaim Extra)
- Round-up. (These areas will have to later be re-seeded)
- DIY: Follow steps above and use recommended products.
- Hiring a professional: call a local company and make sure they are applying pre-emergent in the spring and weed control throughout the year
If this article was useful to you, read some others similar to it:
- Summer Lawn Care Tips
- Best Way to Prepare My Lawn For Spring
- Moss Has Taken Over My Lawn - The Experts Can Help
- When Should I Treat For Crabgrass?
- Will My Neighbors Weeds Blow Into My Yard?
Since 2007, Green Meadow Lawn Care has provided homeowners throughout the greater Tolland, Connecticut area with premium fertilization programs, tick control, mosquito management, seeding & aeration and tree & shrub care.
To speak to our Customer Service Manager, please call Dave (view Dave's video bio here) with any questions. Dave has been in the industry for 30 years and is always happy to help with his expert advice.