Top 6 Benefits of Fall Seeding
Timing: Planting grass seed in the fall gives your lawn a head start. It will have a couple months to build strong roots before winter and a couple months in spring to establish itself and stand strong against the emerging spring weeds.
Air Temperature: Cool air creates ideal growing conditions for grass and moisture in soil is less likely to evaporate.
Soil Temperature: Warm soil temperatures create ideal germinating conditions for grass seed.
Water: New seeds need a lot of water. Fall weather generally offers more precipitation.
Weeds: The aggressive weeds that thrive in warm weather will dying off this time of year. Less competition from weeds will allow young grass to flourish.
Rooting: Plants focus less on fighting heat and other summer stresses and can focus their energy more on establishing stronger, deeper roots.
Fall seed with:
Late summer/early fall is a great window to plant new seed but sometimes we miss the window and that’s okay!
IF you miss this crucial window, you can still dormant seed in late fall. This is still preferable to spring seeding.
- Mimics mother nature. This is the time of year when plants naturally hibernate.
- Seeds have time to fully settle into soil before spring.
- Less water needed: moisture that is trapped in soil throughout winter will release itself during a spring thaw.
- Top 10 Benefits of Dormant Seeding
- Fall Seeding vs Dormant Seeding
- A-List Grass Seed - What's So Special About it?
- How to Prepare My Lawn for Overseeding
- Overseeding Your Lawn - The Ultimate Guide
- Times of Year to Overseed Your Lawn [Best to Worst]
- How to Care for a Newly Seeded Lawn
Since 2007, Green Meadow Lawn Care has provided homeowners throughout the greater Tolland, Connecticut area with premium fertilization programs, tick control, mosquito management, seeding & aeration and tree & shrub care.
To speak to our Customer Service Manager, please call Dave (view Dave's video bio here) with any questions. Dave has been in the industry for 30 years and is always happy to help with his expert advice.